4.24.2012

besties

If you have ever had a best friend, you know that it is one of the greatest pleasures that life has to offer.  Sharing life experiences--its in the daily things like hobbies and happiness.  And it is in life's tough moments where you grow together.  Two years ago my husband and I met our best friends in a married couples community group at Genesis Church, Tallahassee.  Let me start off by saying that I often avoid change in my life.  We live in the same town we grew up in, we even live in the house that I grew up in.  I know now that God divinely ordained our meeting.  We were meant to be friends, and I am a better person for knowing them.  Have you had that in your life?  Someone who makes you a better person?  If you haven't you need it, and you are missing out without it.
Well, I sit here at 5am thinking about those best friends leaving and I want to lament and revel in my selfish world.  In the world where life revolves all around me-- I would have my friends move in and skip the pain and tears that come from having them move away. It hurts.
One of the things that this has brought to light is the fact that I need to change.  Throughout the course of our friendship, I have become a better person.  We have gone through loss, new jobs, new babies,  traveling, so many happy moments and we have lived life together.  They are like family to me.  You may be saying to yourself--they're moving, not dying. 
That is where the part about change comes in. 
I don't like talking on the phone.  I often attribute it to the fact that I live in a black hole that does not have good reception.  And there is truth in that, but the truth is I need to make an assertive, active effort to make talking to people that I love that don't live in Tallahassee a part of each day.  I need to make sure they know that just because they don't live in close proximity doesn't mean I don't care about them.
Change.
And the truth is that I haven't been a good friend.  A good friend would take advantage of every moment, and I sit here knowing that I have taken my friends for granted.  I have let moments pass by without a second thought, not realizing that a day would come and I would have to live my daily life without them here.  They are as close as family, and I can hardly remember life before them.  But I know that I should never have taken them for granted.  They are moving out of obedience to the Lord, and I know He has so much planned for them.  It is hard to think about them living without us around, but there is so much beauty in God's plan.
If you are looking--we are in the market place :)
My husband says that we are not ready to 'date' again. If you're married you know what I mean.  You all have to get along, have time and circumstances work out to where you can maintain those relationships. Finding friends that become part of your family isn't always easy (and like I said change is not always my forte), but I hope that the Lord allows us to have friends that provide us with this deep sense of belonging, fellowship, and family.  If you have not experienced the joy that comes from this kind of fellowship then you. are. missing. out.  I am so thankful that I have gotten to be a part of this love.
I carry your heart--
I carry your heart in my heart.

4 comments:

  1. I love you, forever and ever. The end; or I will cry more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. we need some more pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I'm new to reading your blog through a link on One Thousand Gifts. This post almost makes me cry for you. My husband and I have come through a similar 'divine' meeting with a couple in our small town who have become our best friends/family for just over a year now. Just yesterday my friend had a baby and I'm so blessed to share this joy with her. My hubby and I have become much better people and stronger in our faith through this friendship. I now can't imagine them having to leave and I totally relate to you about not always liking change and I too struggle with keeping up with friends who have moved on. Praying that God will send more friends into your lives when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete